1.7 Visa Extension/Overstay/Entry ban

Passkontrolle Enlarge image (© dpa/ picture alliance)

a) I am in Germany on a tourist/medical/business visa. For important reasons, I need to stay in Germany more than 90 days or past the expiry date of my visa. Can I have my visa extended in Germany?


It is only possible to extend the validity of visas in very exceptional cases. This can only be done by the Foreigners Authority in Germany (Ausländerbehörde) at the place of residence of the visa holder. This is the only authority that can decide whether an extension of your visa can be granted. Neither the Federal Foreign Office nor its missions abroad can do so.

Please ensure to contact the respective Foreigners Authority or City Hall at your place of residence in Germany early enough before the expiry of the visa!


b) I have overstayed the 90 days - is there an entry ban registered against me?

This question cannot be answered by the German Embassy. In many cases, you will already receive relevant information from the border control station upon leaving the Schengen territory if you have overstayed.

Alternatively, in order to obtain clarification a formal application for release of that information through the competent authorities in Germany has to be filed:

Further information about this process can be found here

The required attestation of identity and certification of your signature on the application form (see right side of this website) can be done at the Consular Department of the German Embassy Kuwait during our opening hours (Sunday to Thursday from 09:00 until 11:00am, no prior appointment required).

Please ensure to have the application duly filled out and bring along the original plus one copy of your passports data and signature page.

Afterwards, please send the authenticated form and supporting documents to the appropriate German authority in Cologne:

Bundesverwaltungsamt (BVA)


50728 Köln