3. National Visa, Category D (long-term stay/ Permanent residence)

VIS - Visa Information System Enlarge image (© EU Komission)

Long-term visa applications (e.g. for studying, work permits, family reunification) cannot be processed through our service provider Al Qabas but have to be handed in directly at the Embassy. To book an appointment, please send an email to the visa section of the Embassy  kuwa%27%diplo%27%de,info and state the full name of all applicants, date of birth, nationality and purpose of travel. The number of available appointments at the Embassy is limited, therefore waiting times might occur.

The application will be sent to the Foreign Nationals Authority in Germany. If necessary, they will get in contact with the Federal Labour Agency. The processing time will be between 6 and 10 weeks, even if you have been travelling to Germany before.

Sometimes, a verification of your foreign certificates will be requested which might extend the duration of the visa process and further costs may arise.

The Embassy is only allowed to issue your visa, if a confirmation has been issued by the Foreign Nationals Authority in Germany (if applicable). You will be informed automatically when the residence permit has been authorized. After your arrival in Germany you must register as soon as possible with the Foreign Nationals Authority of your place of residence.

Please make sure that you complete all application and declaration forms correctly, one set for each traveller.

As a result of Regulation 265/2010 it is now possible for anyone in possession of a national visa (D visa) and a valid travel document to move freely in the Schengen area up to three months in any six-month period.

If you are a citizen of Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway you have the same freedom of movement as EU nationals.

If you are a citizen of Australia, Canada, Israel, Korea (Republic), Japan, New Zealand or the United States of America, you can apply for your residence and work permit after arriving in Germany. Please note that until the work permit has been issued you will not be able to work yet. If you want to start work immediately after your arrival in Germany, you should apply from abroad.

Further to our Embassy information sheets and application forms below, you can also download detailed information brochures about job and residence opportunities from the homepage of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees

and the Information Portal for recognition of your foreign professional qualifications .

3. National Visa, Category D (long-term stay/ Permanent residence)